If I learned anything from go-kart racing, it’s to drive on the inside of the track. The inside of every loop and turn gives you an extra edge in the race. It gets you to the finish line faster.
Your book’s Table of Contents (TOC) is your readers’ inside track. It gets them to the checkout counter or the “Buy Now” button on Amazon faster. Since potential buyers often skim the TOC to see if a book is worth buying, make it irresistible.
Here are 7 tips for making an attention-grabbing and irresistible Table of Contents:
- Craft short but intriguing chapter titles.
- Use vivid nouns and verbs to help readers picture what your chapters are about.
- Raise a question in the readers’ minds—a what, why, or how—to make them want to read the book.
- Make each chapter title appealing so they know each chapter is worth reading.
- If you use subtitles, don’t overload them with information, but give a short phrase explaining or expanding the chapter title.
- Get readers excited about your book with titles that elicit an emotional response—empathy, hopefulness, or laughter.
- Include the needs of your target audience in the titles—think felt need.
Help your potential readers get on the fast track to purchasing your book. Make your book’s road map irresistible.7 Tips for an Irresistible Table of Contents #writingtips #writing #writers Click To Tweet